Friday, May 12, 2017

A Godly Woman

“Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that fearth the Lord, she shall be praised.” - Proverbs 31:30

May 14, 2017 will be the second Mother’s Day that I will honor my mom without her being physically present. She will celebrate the holiday with our Lord and I will celebrate the memory of her. I am not alone in this quiet celebration. Other family members and friends hold their own memories close. This is a slight departure, but I hope I may indulge.

I am blessed. Born to and raised by parents who feared God. The responsibility of childcare was a team effort. Each of them brought different perspectives to my training, equal in importance for my whole being.

Since this holiday is honoring mothers, I would like to focus on mine today.

The Lord gives gifts and talents to all of us. Mom possessed the gift of mercy. She once told me that she would have enjoyed becoming a nurse. It would have been a suitable match for her gift. She was a caregiver, not only husband and children, but others as well. It was so much a part of her that when she had to move into the nursing home, she wanted a “job” so she could serve. Even dementia could not silence her gift.

Mom also had the talent of voice. The Lord blessed her with one of the sweetest singing voices. She loved music, especially the old hymns. Even now, I can hear her soft alto singing Victory in Jesus.

A mother who fears the Lord and raises her children to do so is precious. She holds her children close to her heart for her entire life. My mother was such a woman and taught me through example. I must repeat – I am blessed.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for allowing me to have a mother who knew the importance of having a relationship with You. 

2 comments:

  1. A good tribute to your mom. I bet she would be proud of it if she was still down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this from you. We're Blessed to have moms like that. This was beautiful. Heard you had family in service yesterday with you. Missed you all.

    ReplyDelete