Saturday, November 4, 2017

Prayer and Thanksgiving

I will praise Thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will shew forth thy marvelous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in thee; I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.
Psalm 9: 1, 2


It’s hard to believe that the calendar has turned another page and we are in November. This time of year always brings childhood memories of Thanksgiving holidays spent with family. It meant cold weather had hit and we might get snow, gathering at a family member’s home for fellowship and turkey dinner, and parades followed by football all day on the television. Fond memories of a simpler time, unmarred by the concerns of adulthood.

Life is different now. Many of my family members will celebrate the holidays in heaven and the remaining ones have family commitments or live too far away to allow us to come together to share the holiday.

As a Christian, I would like to turn my thoughts of thanksgiving to the Lord. Just as King David wrote in his Psalm, I will praise Him with my whole heart. He deserves and desires no less. He has blessed me beyond measure.

Yes, I am blessed materially with shelter, transportation, and food. But the blessings overflow – I am loved – by family, friends, and even my dogs. Most importantly, the Lord loves me.

Let’s begin this holiday season by counting our blessings. Start each day this month by naming one. Don’t forget to thank the Lord for it in prayer. By December 1st it will be a habit and easy to continue as holiday stress melts into praise.

Dear Lord, thank you for Your many blessings. Help me to remember that all I am comes from You and to be glad and rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment