Sunday, September 5, 2021

Roll Call

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”—1 John 5:13

When I was a child, the music was my favorite part of a worship service. Even the slow tempo songs gave me the opportunity to exercise my lungs before my mom would admonish me to sit still and keep quiet during the pastor’s sermon. We sang from our hymnals and the music leader would throw a lively tune in occasionally to brighten the countenance of the congregation.
The words of those hymns, which were sermons themselves, never caught my attention until I realized my need for salvation. Now I marvel at the inspiration God gave each of the men and women to compose these precious songs.
Because I love to sing, the Lord blesses me with different songs that come to mind throughout the day. Recently, one of my favorite, “happy” hymns has been running through my mind. When the Roll is Called Up Yonder, written by James M. Black.
Mr. Black was educated in singing and organ playing. He was a youth leader, taught Sunday School, taught music as a song leader, and edited hymnals in his spare time.
Because he loved young people so much, he would always try to lead them to Christ. One day he met a ragged fourteen-year-old girl and convinced her to come to Sunday School. On one occasion, when he was making the roll call before the lesson, she didn’t answer when he called her name. Her absence made him think how sad it would be to be absent when our names were called from the Lamb’s Book of Life.
In 1 John, the Apostle John seems to assume that the reader is familiar with the gospel. In chapter 5, he summarizes how Christians can be sure they have eternal life. As we read the Word today, we also can have assurance. The key measurement of a true relationship with Jesus Christ is love. Love for God, but also for others.
Let us rest in the confidence that through the power of Christ we have the ability to overcome the world. Because of Him, we won’t miss roll call in heaven.
Dear Lord,
     Thank You for giving me assurance of eternal life through Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment