Sunday, December 17, 2023

I Believe

“But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name.” ~ John 20: 31

As a child, my favorite months of the year were October, November, and December for the following reasons: October brought my birthday, which meant that Mom cooked my favorite meal and made a special cake with birthday candles. Halloween slid in on the last day of the month for a chance to dress up and trick or treat in my neighborhood. November brought Thanksgiving, which meant family gatherings that included lots of good food and playing with multiple cousins. December brought Christmas, which included church programs, driving around to look at Christmas lights, and Santa.

As an adult, these three months are still my favorite time of year. However, the reasons that I enjoy them have changed a bit. October is still my birthday month, but now my parents have passed on and I prefer to observe my birthday quietly. November kicks off family gatherings, although they look a little different now. One of my daughters has taken over the hosting of Thanksgiving, so my contribution is a side dish or dessert. I then enjoy all the grandchildren. December no longer brings a rush of excitement about gifts, decorations, and party celebrations. It has become a month of reflection. I still love to decorate my home and listen to Christmas music, although I confess, I would enjoy that all year long.

Perhaps the main reason I take pleasure in the last quarter of the year is the happiness and contentment the season brings. The focus is more on giving and receiving love. This includes family and friends, but most importantly, it centers on God. Without His love for us, we would be without hope for eternity. All He requires of us is to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God.

The definition of "believe" is “accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.” In other words, to accept something as true, real, or genuine. I believe. My belief stirs a strong desire to know more about Christ. In order to learn more about Jesus, I study God’s Word, fellowship with other believers by attending church, and set aside daily prayer time.

I admit that there have been periods through the years when my worship experience has been less than stellar. The pressures of everyday life would overwhelm me and time would be consumed with the pursuit of immaterial things.

Many believers are experiencing a similar period during this holiday season. I would like to urge you to take a deep breath and remember the real reason we celebrate. Begin or end your day by reading a chapter from the book of John. Renew your heart by bringing the attention back to Jesus. All else will fade into the background as we kneel before our Lord and profess, “I believe.”

Dear Lord,
Thank You for Your gift of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment